After our holidays in Ibiza we’ve learn two things about its famous laid-back style. One: people don’t dress in Ibiza, they dress up. As in disguise. And two: you only need a few pieces to look amazing.
We were shocked about how people dressed the part: tunics, flowers and thousands of accessories (apparently Woodstock was taking place on the beach), total white looks (beach wedding much? Linen stravaganza?) or neon tees and ultra short shorts with a famous logo (bonus points for club merchandising). We doubt those people wear those styles back at home. They were simply dressing up. They were in Ibiza, so that meant they have to look like it.
Well, we obviously adapt our style to the places we go. But there is a line that you should not cross. Even more, when all you need is some basic pieces to look fantastic. That, your sunkissed skin and a nice cocktail in your hand while staring at the bluest sea. So the next time we escape to Ibiza, this is all we will put in our suitcase:
1. A little white dress: the essence of the island. Transition from days at the beach, to nights at the beach. Yes, that’s all you are going to do. Stay at the beach, all day long. Because time flies and you will forget your sophisticated outfits the second night in Ibiza.
2. Denim shorts: they are perfect for the beach, mornings at the market and little boat trips.
3. A comfy cardigan: for that sea breeze that makes nights colder.
4. A neutral pair of sandals: they go with everything and they will stay beautiful after crossing those sand paths that will take you to the most beautiful little coves.
5. Sunglasses: obviously.
6. An statement bag: Even though baskets are the most popular bags in the island, this fantastic and colourful bag would be our only concession to the pseudo-hippie style. It’s beautiful, it’s bold and it’s huge. It’s perfect.
7. A nice top to match those denim shorts.
8. A cute bikini: even though you will learn to love nudism. Wait, what?
9. Jelly shoes: some of Ibiza’s most amazing beaches are full of rocks. So if you don’t want to get hurt or step out of the water like a drunken clown you will need some of these. Believe us, we learnt the hard way. Besides, they will make you feel like a child again. And childhood, as well as Ibiza, is all about freedom, right?
10. And we’ve saved the most important thing for the last: a beach wrap. Ibiza is all about chilling out. And you won’t be able to do it without this sheer, light, multifunctional piece. Choose stripes or prints but always, always, choose soft colours.